The best time to visit Maine is the summer months, between late June and early August! This may come as a shock to those who would think the shoulder seasons would be the best, but truthfully, the weather during the summer in Maine just can’t be beaten. Plus, if you plan your trip to Maine in advance, you can definitely save some money versus booking last minute for accommodations.
In addition to the weather, summer in Maine is the best time to visit the state because the popular attractions are the most beautiful during this season. Spots like Acadia National Park or even Maine’s state parks have lots of activities like hiking which are best enjoyed with warm weather. Because Maine is coastal, there tends to be a great breeze!
As far as temperatures go, expect it to be around 70°F most days. It can get as high as 100°F in the middle of July, so definitely prepare yourself for some warmer weather. Don’t worry, though; there’s always a lake or beach nearby where you can visit to cool off pretty quickly.
Curious about what it’s like to visit Maine during other months? Learn more below!
Best Things to do in Maine in Winter
- Escape to the coastal towns in Maine for a true getaway. In winter, the towns near the water are truly something out of this world!
- Book a night at a cabin in Maine. Especially if you book one in the forest, you’ll feel like you’re in a winter wonderland out of a holiday movie.
- Go dogsledding, ice fishing, winter hiking, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling, some of the top things to do in Maine in winter besides skiing.
- Find the perfect Christmas tree by visiting a Maine Christmas tree farm like Piper Mountain Christmas Tree Farm or Moose Hill Farm.
- Celebrate Christmas in Maine by doing some of the top holiday activities and attending great events like the Portland Harbor Christmas Boat Parade.
Best Things to do in Maine in Spring
- Visit some of the beautiful Maine state parks where you can hike, camp, swim, and just get outdoors to enjoy this state’s nature and beauty.
- Step back in time by visiting Maine’s historical sites, which are spread all throughout the state. No matter which one you visit, you’ll be able to learn some of Maine’s history.
- Have fun in Freeport, one of the best spots to visit in all of Maine! There are so many fun activities in this town that can keep even large families busy.
- Relax at one of the incredible Maine lakes. It’s best to visit them in the spring because they can get pretty busy in the summer.
- Go small town hopping in Maine! Visit places like Rockland (which has great restaurants), Boothbay Harbor, and Bethel, which are incredibly cute and charming.
Best Things to do in Maine in Summer
- Grab a pint at one of Maine’s breweries! Meet up with friends and family, or even just head out to the brewery to meet some locals. Who knows, you might just learn about some hidden gems in the state worth visiting.
- Go out and try to find some famous Maine puffins! They tend to be easiest to find during the summer months, especially if you book a puffin sightseeing tour.
- Book a night in an Acadia National Park cabin for a romantic or family getaway! There are cabins for any budget or group size.
- Check out some of the best spots to visit during summer in Maine, including York, Portland, Kennebunkport, Ogunquit, and Bar Harbor.
- Head to Acadia National Park and go on some of the great hikes there. They range from Ocean Path, which is easy, to Beehive Trail, which is challenging.
- See whales by going on a whale watching tour. The best time to see whales is during the spring all the way through October.
Best Things to do in Maine in Fall
- Warm up with a latte or cappuccino at a Portland cafe. With so many to choose from, you truly do have your pick when it comes to finding the best coffee shop for you.
- Get lost in a corn maze in Maine! Some of the popular ones include Pinelands Farms, Hoopers Orchard, and Zach’s Farm. Many mazes also have incredible cider donuts and hot apple cider.
- Go apple picking at one of Maine’s great orchards. There are great spots like Apple Acres Farm, Ricker Hill Orchards, and Brackett’s Orchards.
- Find the perfect pumpkin to carve for Halloween at a Maine pumpkin patch! There’s Spiller Farms, Berry Fruit Farm, and more.
- Get spooky and go visit Stephen King spots throughout Maine! This is a must-do for any Stephen King fans.
- Explore the state by visiting some of the best spots to visit during fall in Maine, including must-visit spots for fall foliage.
You might also like:
- 7 Spots for the Best Breakfast in Portland Maine
- Top 10 Things to do in Biddeford, Maine
- 9 Beautiful Botanical Gardens in Maine
- 12 Best Restaurants in Kennebunkport Maine
- 9 Best Restaurants in Bar Harbor Maine
- 8 Wonderful Weekend Getaways in Maine
- Maine Coast Road Trip: Kittery to Bar Harbor Road Trip Itinerary
Amy is the founder of New England with love. A proud Vermonter, she hopes to share her love of New England and help you find the best adventures in the region. Amy is also blogger/founder at Two Drifters, where she writes alongside her husband about romantic and couples travel, relationships, honeymoons, and more. When not working on websites, Amy is probably reading, cuddling with her husband, son, and cats, & drinking a maple latte.