- Lumen Nature Retreat: Luxury Glamping in the White Mountains - November 27, 2023
- Glamping in New Hampshire: 9 Incredible Spots (2024) - November 27, 2023
- 45 New England Gifts: Local Items You’ll Love (2023/2024) - November 21, 2023
So, you want to know the best time to visit Connecticut? It may not be exactly when you think… in fact, the best time to visit Connecticut is actually during the spring months between April and June! The weather is perfect this time of year, which means you’ll get to explore the state’s top destinations without the summer heat. Plus, you’ll avoid all the summer vacation families that come during July and August!
In spring, some of the top places to visit include the state parks, lakes, and even cabins that Connecticut has to offer so that you can genuinely get outdoors. There are also many great towns to visit if you’d rather not escape to nature, like Mystic (which has an incredible aquarium), Old Saybrook, and Hartford.
The weather during spring in Connecticut is absolutely unbeatable. Most days, it’s in the 60s, but it can get as low as around 55°F if you visit during the earlier months of spring. However, the sun tends to be out quite a lot! This is one of the more rainier times of the year, but the rain showers never last too long, and there are more than enough indoor activities to keep you busy if an unexpected storm comes.
What is it like to visit during other seasons in Connecticut? Read on to find out!
Best Things to do in Connecticut in Winter
- Have a romantic weekend away! This is best done during the winter because often, accommodation prices tend to be a bit lower during this time of year. There’s the Inn at Stonington, Delamar, The Inn at Woodstock, and more!
- Attend an annual Connecticut winter event like the First Night Celebration in Hartford or the Snow Much Fun event hosted in Newtown. These are some of the best ways to spend winter in Connecticut!
- Spend some time in Connecticut at Christmas by heading to Greenwich, where you can enjoy the holidays on the coast! Plus, there’s the fun Greenwich Reindeer Festival, perfect for those visiting the area with families.
- Head to a Christmas tree farm to find your holiday tree! Visiting these farms is a great way to support the locals. We also all know a real tree can be a lot more fun (even if it is more of a hassle) to have in your home for the holidays!
Best Things to do in Connecticut in Spring
- Tour the state to try to visit all of the beautiful Connecticut lighthouses! They’re located all over, but some of the best include Saybrook Breakwater Light, Penfield Reef Light, and even New London Ledge Light. Each one is so different from the others!
- Get your history on by stopping by some of the historic sites in Connecticut. Because it’s in the northeast, this state is brimming with history that you won’t want to miss out on. Some great places to visit include Gillette Castle, Fort Griswold, and the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center.
- Visit some of the best state parks in Connecticut! These are a great way to get outside and often have fun activities like kayaking, hiking, and swimming. Plus, the amenities at the state parks are great too. A few worth considering a visit to include Haystack Mountain State Park, Gillette Castle State Park, and Sleeping Giant State Park!
- Explore the areas near some of Connecticut’s amazing lakes! Go on a picnic, relax, or even rent a boat to go out on the water for the day.
- Consider road tripping the state to check out the beautiful small towns and must-visit spots in Connecticut, like Hopkins Vineyard, Thimble Islands, and the Godspeed Opera House.
Best Things to do in Connecticut in Summer
- Try to work your way through the Connecticut bucket list and see how many fun things you can cross off your list. Ride an antique carousel, hit up the Durham Fair, and even visit the oldest operating amusement park in the United States!
- Stop by some of the top breweries in Hartford to grab a pint and connect with old friends (and maybe even family too). Some top choices include WeHa Brewing & Roasting Company, Labyrinth Brewing Company, and even Connecticut Valley Brewing Company.
- Have a lovely weekend away by spending the night at a bed and breakfast. These charming accommodations will make your trip to Connecticut even more memorable because most of them are hosted by locals in the area.
- Go on one of the best Connecticut state hikes, like Mt. Tom Tower Loop, Bluff Point Coastal Reserve Trail (an incredible beach hike), or even Cobble Mountain Loop.
- Cool off by visiting a waterfall! While Connecticut is filled with tons of these, Yantic Falls, Wadsworth Little Falls, and Buttermilk Falls are great options to check out.
- Prefer to head to the beach rather than a waterfall? There are many great Connecticut beaches where you can swim, relax by the water, picnic, or even rent a boat!
Best Things to do in Connecticut in Fall
- Grab your favorite caffeinated beverage at one of the best coffee shops in Connecticut! Visit Ashlawn Farm Coffee in Old Saybrook, Blue State Coffee in New Haven and Hartford, or even Shearwater Organic Coffee Bar with locations in Westport and Fairfield.
- See how long it takes to complete a corn maze! Connecticut has quite a few different corn mazes to choose from, like the ones at Bishop’s Orchards, Bunnell Farm, and even Castle Hill Farm. No matter what one you visit, be sure to support the local business by also checking out their shop and maybe buying a pie or hot apple cider!
- Find the pumpkin of your dreams at one of Connecticut’s pumpkin patches! No matter where in the state you’re visiting, you’ll be able to find a great pumpkin patch nearby. However, some of the best ones include Warrup’s Farm, Johnny Appleseed’s Farm, and Whittle’s Willow Spring Farm!
- Go apple picking in Connecticut! There are great orchards like Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, Lapsley Orchard in Pomfret Center, and Silverman’s Farm in Easton.
- Have an adventure to find the best fall foliage! While it can be seen all throughout the state, some of the top spots to see it are in Mohawk State Forest, Simsbury, and Kent.
You might also like:
- 9 Best Things to do in Madison, Connecticut
- 11 Best Restaurants in New Haven Connecticut
- 12 Fun Free Things to do in Hartford CT
- 12 Best Things to do in Waterbury Connecticut
- 10 Fun Connecticut Day Trips
- 8 Best Beach Towns in Connecticut
- 6 Best Bike Rides in Connecticut for Outdoor Lovers
- 9 Incredible Spots for Glamping in CT
- Where to go Snow Tubing in Connecticut
- 7 Fantastic Weekend Getaways in Connecticut