The absolute best time to visit New Hampshire is during springtime! While fall is the busiest time of year due to fall foliage, many tourists miss out on the beauty of New Hampshire in the spring. This is the time of year that the state is starting to come back to life after winter.
Specifically, the best time to visit New Hampshire is between the months of April and June. The weather is perfect (usually around 58°F), which is perfect for a sweater or hoodie. Because the weather is so great, it’s ideal for exploring the outdoor beauty that New Hampshire offers.
Some fun New Hampshire spring activities include going on hikes, stopping by the beautiful lakes and beaches that the state has (before they get busy in the summer months), road-tripping throughout the state, and even checking out some of the beautiful dreamy cabins for a weekend away.
With that being said, New Hampshire is still beautiful no matter what time of year you visit. Learn more about what it’s like to visit during different times of year below!
Best Things to do in New Hampshire in Winter
- Go skiing at one of the New Hampshire ski resorts! This is one of the best festive Christmas activities in New Hampshire.
- Ice skate or go on a sleigh ride at Nestlenook Farm in Jackson, New Hampshire! This small town also just feels like something straight out of a Hallmark movie.
- Get lost in one of New Hampshire’s charming small towns! They’re most beautiful in the winter when they’re covered in snow.
- Visit Gunstock Mountain and go tubing, one of the most fun things to do in New Hampshire in winter.
- Cut down your dream Christmas tree at a New Hampshire Christmas tree farm. This is such a great holiday activity for families or couples.
Best Things to do in New Hampshire in Spring
- Road trip and go on a scenic New Hampshire drive in the state to see the state’s true beauty. Consider doing the Great North Woods Ride, the Lake Winnipesaukee Loop, or the Robert Frost Scenic Byway.
- Stop by some of the most beautiful New Hampshire beaches. They tend to get super busy in the summer months but are a lot more tranquil during the spring.
- Book a night at a dreamy cabin for a weekend getaway. This can be a great romantic weekend if you’re looking for a great break from where you live!
- Visit a waterfall and take in the incredible scenery. Some of them even require a short hike to get there, so this is a great way to get outside and enjoy the spring weather.
- Shop local and check out some of New Hampshire’s bookstores. There’s The Toadstool Bookshop or Gibson’s Bookstores.
Best Things to do in New Hampshire in Summer
- Head to a beautiful New Hampshire State Park and enjoy the nature that the state has to offer. Go hiking, have a picnic, or even consider renting a kayak and going out on a lake.
- Relax and take in the view at Echo Lake Beach in Franconia. This is one of the most breathtaking and scenic parts of the state, so you won’t want to miss it.
- Get your breath taken away by going to a New Hampshire lake. While there, cool off in the pool, go kayaking, or even hike around the lake.
- Grab a pint from a local brewery, one of the best things to do in summer in New Hampshire. There are many throughout the state!
- New Hampshire is known for its great hikes. So, be sure to go on one of the best hikes in New Hampshire! Luckily, there are many different types depending on your skill and experience level.
Best Things to do in New Hampshire in Fall
- Go on a moose tour! This is definitely one of the more unique things to do in New Hampshire and is something families visiting the area will absolutely love.
- Track down fall foliage in New Hampshire! Check out this complete guide we made that covers where to go for your best chances of seeing the leaves changing color in the fall.
- Have so much fun getting lost in a corn maze! When you’re done, consider supporting where the corn maze is by trying some refreshing apple cider.
- Don’t forget to find the perfect pumpkin to put on your front porch! Head to a New Hampshire pumpkin patch to pick out the pumpkin of your dreams.
- Get into spooky season by going to one of the spooky and haunted places in the state. This is one of the best ways to spend fall in New Hampshire!
- Go on a ghost tour! One of the best New England ghost tours is the Historic Portsmouth Legends and Ghost Walk.
You might also like:
- 7 Amazing Spots for Apple Picking in NH
- 14 Amazing Cabins in the White Mountains
- 10 Cutest Small Towns in New Hampshire
- 8 Incredible Places to go Glamping in New Hampshire
- Your Guide to Mt Washington NH: The Highest Peak in the Northeast!
Amy is the founder of New England with love. A proud Vermonter, she hopes to share her love of New England and help you find the best adventures in the region. Amy is also blogger/founder at Two Drifters, where she writes alongside her husband about romantic and couples travel, relationships, honeymoons, and more. When not working on websites, Amy is probably reading, cuddling with her husband, son, and cats, & drinking a maple latte.